“Something crazy is going on outside,” a woman shouts. “I’m scared.”
Moments later, the same voice yells that a tree has fallen and another says, “It’s on that guy’s camper.”
Overturned campers, downed trees
The footage posted on the website of CNN affiliate WAVY came from the Cherrystone Family Camping Resort on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, where a powerful storm Thursday toppled campers and sent trees crashing onto vehicles.
Police said two people died, and a hospital official said 25 others treated for injuries included three in critical condition.
Photos from the scene in Northampton County showed overturned campers, with a downed tree crushing one vehicle.
The area was under a tornado warning, and Danielle Rivera — who shot the video footage — told WAVY of giant hail and crushing winds that tore off the awning of her family’s camper.
“I was terrified”
“I was terrified,” the 17-year-old Rivera said. “I was so scared.”
She and her mother decided to stay in the camper until the hail and wind relented enough for them to make a dash to their car.
“I thought a tree was going to fall on us,” she said.
State Police spokeswoman Corrine Geller said emergency personnel searched the area for additional casualties, and survivors got bused to a high school set up as a temporary shelter.
Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital was treating 25 people injured by the storm, with three in critical condition, according to spokesman Peter Glagola. Most of the injuries involved broken bones and head trauma, he said.
According to the National Weather Service, a cluster of “supercells” ahead of a cold front formed a storm over Chesapeake Bay just after 8 a.m. ET.
The storm intensified as it moved on ashore about 30 minutes later. The area was under a tornado warning issued at 8:20 a.m.
Cherrystone opened in 1964 occupies 300 acres with 725 sites including cabins, cottages, and deluxe campers, its website says.
Rivera told WAVY she and her family had been going there for 10 years, but “never have I ever witnessed anything this bad.”
The head doctor fighting the deadly tropical virus Ebola in Sierra Leone has himself caught the disease, the government said
The 39-year-old Sheik Umar Khan, hailed as a “national hero” by the health ministry, was leading the fight to control an outbreak that has killed 206 people in the West African country. Ebola kills up to 90 percent of those infected and there is no cure or vaccine.
Across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, more than 600 people have died from the illness, according to the World Health Organisation, placing great strain on the health systems of some of Africa’s poorest countries.
Khan, a Sierra Leonean virologist credited with treating more than 100 Ebola victims, has been transferred to a treatment ward run by medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, according to the statement released late on Tuesday by the president’s office.
Health Minister Miatta Kargbo called Khan a national hero and said she would “do anything and everything in my power to ensure he survives”.
Khan told Reuters in late June that he was worried about contracting Ebola. “I am afraid for my life, I must say, because I cherish my life,” he said in an interview, showing no signs of ill health at the time.
“Health workers are prone to the disease because we are the first port of call for somebody who is sickened by disease. Even with the full protective clothing you put on, you are at risk.”
Three days ago, three nurses working in the same Ebola treatment centre alongside Khan died from the disease.
The Ebola outbreak started in Guinea’s remote southeast in February and has since spread across the region. Symptoms of the highly infectious disease are diarrhea, vomiting and internal and external bleeding.
The 10th typhoon to impact China in 2014, Matmo is moving northward after landfall Wednesday. Heavy rains were reported across the provinces bordering the Taiwan Straits, between Taiwan and mainland China.
A farmer was reported swept away by floods in Jianxi Province’s De’an County, and one person died, two are missing and 87 buildings collapsed in Jiujiang City.
Floodwater poured into the Yanting reservoir of Fuzhou City in Fujian province Thursday, and 8,000 downstream residents were relocated.
Shangdong Province’s meteorological office said Typhoon Matmo would arrive in the province by noon Friday.
At least 70,000 people have been evacuated from their homes.