Archive | May 1, 2015
Steam and ash explosion
Courtesy of ndrrmc.gov.ph
A massive landslide in the early hours of Thursday morning at Hathi Pahaad near Vishnuprayag, almost 32 km from the Badrinath shrine, disrupted the Badrinath yatra which had begun barely five days ago.
Over 1000 devotees from across the country and abroad, some who were on their way to the shrine and some who were returning after a darshan, were stuck at different parts of the Vishnuprayag-Marwadi stretch, considered one of the most ecologically-sensitive slide zones in the Garhwal Himalayas.
No casualties were reported although sources said that four machines, kept for road-clearing, were struck by heavy boulders and pushed into the Alaknanda river below.
State government officials meanwhile told TOI that the yatra was not suspended and would proceed on course. Briefing media persons, additional secretary Rakesh Sharma said that a 100-member team from the Border Roads Organization (BRO), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and State Disaster Management department had been pressed into service along with six bulldozers and road-clearing machines to make the route operational.
“Over 600 pilgrims have been evacuated, and almost 400 more would be evacuated by Friday,” said Sharma. He added that a request has been made to increase the number of helicopters being deployed in order to speed up the process of evacuation by air.
Sanjay Guniyal, inspector general (IG) of police who led two SDRF teams to the spot said that many pilgrims were also taken to safe locations using trekking routes. “Since the road has been blocked near Hathi Pahaad, pilgrims had to leave their vehicles and trek for about 2-3 km in order to reach Joshimath.
SDRF personnel were posted at different strategic points on the route in order to help the yatris.” He added that it might take about three days to clear the route for vehicular movement, according to reports received from BRO officials. Incidentally, two days earlier, heavy rains had triggered a landslide which had blocked a portion of the road to Badrinath, and work was ongoing to clear the route when the fresh landslide occurred.
Courtesy of latestnews360.com
Severe heat wave conditions continued to prevail in Rajasthan on Friday as Bundi experienced the hottest day of the season with a maximum temperature of 44.6 degrees Celsius, a MeT report said.
North-western regions of the state are reeling under severe heat wave conditions while dust raising winds affected normal life in western districts of Jaisalmer, Barmer, Jodhpur and Churu where the maximum temperature ranged between 41.3 and 42.9 degrees Celsius.
Kota recorded a maximum temperature of 41.6 degrees Celsius, while Jaipur observed 40.2 degrees Celsius.
No respite is expected from the scorching heat wave conditions in the next 24 hours in the state, a forecast said.
Courtesy of zeenews.india.com
PHOTO: The carport collapsed onto a boat in Exmouth as cyclone Quang approached. (Supplied: Mick
Exmouth shire president Turk Shale said people were unprepared as winds tore down fences, trees and power poles this morning.)
“We’ve just got a little bit of a reprieve but three hours ago all hell broke loose,” he said.
“Right now we’ve got a deluge of destruction that’s gone through this town like you wouldn’t believe and I think the weather bureau has been caught on the hop on this one.
“There’s fences down, trees down, powerlines down, we’ve just been whacked.”
Local resident Mick Devlin described how wind gusts of more than 100 kph blew away his friend’s carport without any warning.
He said the scene in Exmouth was “horrendous”.
“We were just driving around and there were cranes up in the marina and all that kind of stuff. So yeah, I don’t think anyone actually realised it was … coming,” Mr Devlin said.
“We got back at 11:20am, and yeah, she hit and we parked the car under the patio and the patio blew off.”
As at 3:00pm, the cyclone was estimated to be 75km north-west of Exmouth and 195km north north-west of Coral Bay and moving south-east at 23kph.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) said Quang would cross the coast late tonight or early on Saturday but would likely be below cyclone strength by then.
People in affected areas have been advised to secure or remove loose objects from around their homes, put fuel in their vehicles and ensure their emergency kits are up to date.
A storm tide is possible late on Friday between Onslow and Coral Bay, which could bring dangerous coastal inundation.
Local roads may be closed and motorists have been warned not to drive into water of unknown depth and current.
The Port of Ashburton was officially closed until further notice.
The ports of Dampier and Port Hedland remain open but the Pilbara Ports Authority is continuing to monitor the system.
Cape Range National Park has been closed.
Horizon Power said 1,000 homes were without power in Exmouth.
The company said in a statement it was too dangerous for crews to inspect the network and it urged customers to stay away from electricity infrastructure.
It said crews were on standby to restore power as soon as it was safe.
PHOTO: An image generated by the Exmouth weather radar showing rainfall from Tropical Cyclone Quang. (Bureau of Meteorology)
Courtesy of abc.net.au
A plane had to make an emergency landing at Aberdeen International Airport this evening after a power failure.
The incident, involving an Ea Saab 2000, happened at around 7pm.
The aircraft had two crew members on board but no passengers.
Fire services and police were called to the scene but were not needed and left at around 7.30pm.
The plane was doing a re-positioning flight from Sweden.
A spokesman for Eastern Airways said: “Our crew were re-positioning an empty aircraft from Orebro in Sweden to Aberdeen and reported a cockpit warning indication relating to the aircraft’s Auxiliary Power Unit.
“There were no passengers onboard the Saab 2000, and the two pilots landed safely at 7.20pm.
“After vacating the runway the aircraft then taxied to its parking stand.
“A full inspection of the aircraft is being carried out by our engineers.”
Courtesy of pressandjournal.co.uk
A man was killed in a small plane crash near Trinidad Thursday afternoon.
The Las Animas County Sheriff’s Office said the crash happened around 1 p.m. about a mile from the Las Animas County Fairgrounds. The single-engine plane went down about 300 yards west of County Road 71.1.
Deputies said the pilot, a man in his 50s, was killed in the crash. No one else was in the plane. The victim has not been identified.
Investigators have not yet determined what caused the crash. A witness told Las Animas County deputies that the plane circled over his property several times before going down.
The FAA and the NTSB are investigating the crash, along with the Las Animas County Sheriff’s Office.
Courtesy of fox21news.com