June 28, 2015
15 people struck by lightning; 5 rushed to hospital on Mount Bierstadt, USA
Fifteen people and one dog were hit by lightning on 14,060-foot Mount Bierstadt in Clear Creek County at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday.
“All victims are on their way down, some with assistance needed,” the sheriff’s office said at 2 p.m.
Three people were taken by ambulance to metro area hospitals. One of them was in serious condition and two had non-life threatening injuries. Five others refused further treatment, according to the sheriff’s office.
The dog that was struck died on the mountain. It was not recovered Sunday afternoon because of the danger of additional lightning.
“Some of these fine rescue people will probably go up and get the dog probably early (Monday) morning,” said Rick Albers, Clear Creek County Sheriff. “That way they don’t have to deal with the lightning.”
The lighting struck about 500 feet below the summit of Mount Bierstadt, the sheriff’s office said.
Responders from the Clear Creek County Sheriff’s Office, Clear Creek EMS, Summit County Search and Rescue, Gilpin County EMS, Clear Creek Office of Emergency Management, Clear Creek Fire Authority, Clear Creek Advocates, and Rocky Mountain Rescue responded to the scene.
Twenty-seven members of Alpine Rescue were also called in to assist getting the injured off the mountain. Other hikers helped the injured before first responders arrived.
.Shasta Johnson was hiking nearby, with her dog Axel, when she heard about the lightning strike and came to help.
“(To) see if there is anything we can do to help assist,” she said. “Whatever was needed.”
A hiker who had gone up Bierstadt earlier said there were about 100 people still on the trail at about 11:30 a.m. , including some on the summit and some still on their way to the top. That’s when thunder and lightning rolled in.
“It appears lightning developed shortly after 11, peaked before 11:30, then dissipated,” said Storm Station7 Meteorologist Matt Makens. “There were 16 strikes near Mount Bierstadt, a handful were right on the mountain.”
Bierstadt is a popular first “14er” for many hikers because of the easy access from the parking lot at the summit of nearby Guanella Pass.
Courtesy of thedenverchannel.com
Tags: Clear Creek County, Clear Creek County Sheriff, Clear Creek Fire Authority, lightning strike, Mount Bierstadt, thunder and lightning
Earth Extremities Search
Earth Extremities Categories
Join 581 other subscribers
- 599,818 hits
- #HarryMaguire #Ghana #GhanaianParliament #MUFC #ManchesterUnited #Football #Soccer @SaeedTV_ @UnitedStandMUFC… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- #Earthquake #Hokkaido #Japan wp.me/p1IeZh-wCD 6 hours ago
- #Earthquake #SolomonIslands wp.me/p1IeZh-wCA 6 hours ago
- #Earthquake #LakeEdward #Congo #Africa wp.me/p1IeZh-wCx 6 hours ago
- #Earthquake #Fiji wp.me/p1IeZh-wCt 7 hours ago
Earth Changing Top Clicks
Earth Changing Cloud Categories
Building Collapse Alert Building Damage Alert Commuter Alert coronavirus Cosmic Rays Alert COVID-19 Disaster Declaration Alert Earth Changing Extremities Earthquake Earthquake Alert Emergency Alert Europe Evacuation Alert Fish Homeless Alert ICELAND REGION Magnetosphere Alert Major Alert nCoV2019 Quake Swarm Quarantined Alert Rain Alert Rescue Alert Ring Of Fire Severe Flood Alert Severe Weather Alert Structural Damage Alert USA Vehicle Alert Yellowstone
Earth Extremities Archives
- MAGNITUDE 6.0 HOKKAIDO, JAPAN REGION March 28, 2023
- MAGNITUDE 6.1 SOLOMON ISLANDS March 28, 2023
- MAGNITUDE 4.9 LAKE EDWARD REGION, CONGO March 28, 2023
- MAGNITUDE 5.5 FIJI REGION March 28, 2023
- MAGNITUDE 5.6 MASBATE REGION, PHILIPPINES March 26, 2023
Top Posts & Pages
- MAGNITUDE 5.5 FIJI REGION
- MAGNITUDE 6.1 SOLOMON ISLANDS
- MAGNITUDE 4.9 LAKE EDWARD REGION, CONGO
- MAGNITUDE 6.0 HOKKAIDO, JAPAN REGION
- Thousands of fish dead in a river due to pollution in Pelalawan Regency, Indonesia
- Australia's extreme heatwave spans five states with high of 49C forecast
- 135 dead turtles, plus dolphins and manatees wash up since July in Sarasota, Florida, USA
- Large die off of fish in the waters of Liuzhou City, China
- 7 giant deep sea #fish wash up dead on the coast of #Japan
- SEVERE TORNADO IN LAGOS, NIGERIA | May 14, 2018