Depth: 10 km
Distances: 230 km E of Algiers, Algeria / pop: 1,978,000 / local time: 03:55:18.2 2020-02-21
48 km E of Bejaïa, Algeria / pop: 165,000 / local time: 03:55:18.2 2020-02-21
28 km N of BABOR – VILLE, Algeria / pop: 33,000 / local time: 03:55:18.2 2020-02-21
CDC has confirmed 34 cases of novel coronavirus in the US #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #coronavirus #USA #America #Japan #wuhan #china #emergency #epidemic #quarantine
US officials have now confirmed 34 cases of novel coronavirus in the country, according to an announcement Friday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
These include 21 cases among repatriated individuals, as well as 13 US cases.
“We are keeping track of cases resulting from repatriation efforts separately because we don’t believe those numbers accurately represent the picture of what is happening in the community in the United States at this time,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters Friday.
The 21 repatriated include 18 former passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship that docked in Japan, plus three who had been previously evacuated from China. There are 10 additional passengers among the Diamond Princess evacuees who tested positive for the virus in Japan, and who Messonnier said will likely be added to the official US count once the Japanese test results have been adjudicated.
The 13 US cases include seven in California, one in Massachusetts, one in Washington state, one in Arizona, two in Illinois and one in Wisconsin. Among these cases, there are two instances of person-to-person transmission, one in Illinois and one in California.
The 13th US case was confirmed overnight in Humboldt County, California. County officials offered few details but said a close contact with symptoms was also undergoing testing, and both are self-isolating at home.
Messonnier said there are additional Americans from the Diamond Princess group who remain hospitalized in Japan and are “seriously ill.”
Courtesy of edition.cnn.com
Six people test positive for the coronavirus in northern Italy #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #coronavirus #Italy #Lombardy #Codogno #wuhan #china #emergency #epidemic #quarantine
Schools, bars, and restaurants in a Lombardy town have shut as officials warn residents to stay at home as a precaution after six people tested positive for the coronavirus on Friday.
Six Italian nationals have tested positive for the coronavirus in the city of Codogno, in the northern Lombardy region, local authorities confirmed on Friday morning.
They are the first known cases of local transmission of the potentially deadly illness within the country.
There are unconfirmed reports in Italian media that up to 14 people in total have tested positive for the virus in Lombardy, and two further cases in the Veneto region, though six cases remain confirmed by authorities at the time of writing.
The first person confrmed to have contracted the virus was a 38-year-old man was confirmed to have contracted the virus after meeting a friend who had recently returned from China, authorities said.
The man, now being cared for in isolation in hospital, is said to be in a “very serious” condition.
Soon after, two more people tested positive for the virus – the initial patient’s pregnant wife, and another man he had come into contact with, the Ansa news agency reported.
Three more cases were confirmed on Friday afternoon, as health authorities in the town advised residents of Codogno and nearby Castiglione d’Adda to stay at home as a precaution and avoid all social contact.
Schools, bars, and restaurants have also been closed “until at least Sunday” as a precaution in Codogno, a town of 15,800 people around 60 kilometres south-east of Milan.
Around 250 people are now reportedly being tested for the virus in the area.
The first patient had dinner in early February with a friend who had just come back from China, according to Lombardy welfare councillor Giulio Gallera.
Police have reconstructed the man’s movements over the last four days and are trying to find anyone he or his wife may have been in contact with.
The friend with whom he dined, meanwhile, has been taken to Milan’s Sacco Hospital, where he is being kept in isolation.
Authorities are reportedly considering the use of military facilities for quarantine.
The six patients in Lombardy bring the total number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Italy to nine.
Two Chinese tourists, from the virus epicentre of Wuhan, tested positive in central Rome in late January, and one Italian who returned from the Chinese city on a special evacuation flight repatriating 56 Italian nationals also tested positive for the virus a week later.
According to the WHO, more than 80 percent of patients infected with the virus have mild disease and recover, while 14 percent have severe diseases such as pneumonia.
Around five percent of cases are considered critical.
Courtesy of thelocal.it
Lebanon confirms first case of coronavirus, two more suspected #nCoV2019 #COVID19 #coronavirus #Lebanon #wuhan #china #emergency #quarantine #epidemic
Lebanon confirmed its first coronavirus case on Friday and said it was monitoring two other potential cases after a 45-year-old woman who returned from Iran tested positive.
Health Minister Hamad Hassan told a news conference the patient was taken directly to isolation from a plane arriving from the Iranian city of Qom on Thursday after exhibiting symptoms on the aircraft.
Two more people from the flight were suspected of carrying the virus on Friday and will be transferred to the same Beirut hospital for quarantine, Hassan said.
All other passengers were asked to stay isolated in their homes for 14 days, he said. Hassan told Reuters that the plane had around 150 passengers and that if any showed symptoms later, they would be tested and quarantined.
The plane was a Mahan Air flight that landed around 7.30 p.m. (1730 GMT) on Thursday. There was no decision so far to suspend flights coming from Tehran, a source at Beirut airport said.
The window of opportunity to contain wider worldwide spread of the epidemic of the new coronavirus disease is closing, the World Health Organization warned on Friday.
A coronavirus outbreak in Iran, which has so far seen four people die, began in the Shi’ite Muslim holy city of Qom, authorities in Iran said.
An Iranian health ministry official said the likely source was Chinese workers in Qom who had recently travelled to China, where the epidemic originated.
More than 2,100 people have died in China and new research suggesting the virus is more contagious than previously thought has heightened international alarm over the outbreak.
Hassan said all precautions in line with World Health Organization advice were being taken and offered Lebanese a hotline to call if they experienced or witnessed symptoms.
Courtesy of reuters.com