CORONAVIRUS could be transmitted through toilet water, scientists have claimed, as the invisible killer disease continues to spread panic across the globe.
A major study has found evidence to suggest the coronavirus, or at least its genome, can be excreted in faeces. This faecal exposure can then become the route for transmission, according to scientists at Stanford University. Alexandria Boehm, who led the study, said: “It’s unlikely this could be a major transmission route, but a person could potentially be exposed by interacting with water contaminated with untreated faecal matter.”
Krista Wigginton, co-author of the study, said: “If we took a broader approach to studying many kinds of viruses, we could better understand the characteristics driving their environmental fate.”
Coronavirus is spreading rapidly across the globe with the death toll standing at more than 24,000 deaths.
The coronavirus – known officially as COVID-19 – is a virus that affects the lungs and airways causing coughing, high temperature and shortness of breath.
The more extreme cases can see pneumonia and even death, with 3,202 having died globally – the majority of these in China where the virus originated.
As COVID-19 is a new virus, experts are not yet sure exactly how it spreads from person to person.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), it is believed coronavirus is spread mostly through person to person contact within about a six-foot radius.
Viral particles from the virus can be spread through coughing or sneezing, with the particles landing in the mouths or noses of those nearby.
There is also the possibility the virus can be caught through touching a surface on which the virus has recently landed, and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
However, the CDC believes this is a less common method of transmission.
Courtesy of express.co.uk
Indonesian volcano Mount Merapi spews massive ash in 2nd major eruption this month #MountMerapi #Indonesia #eruption
Indonesia’s most active volcano Mount Merapi erupted Friday, shooting a column of ash some 5,000 meters (16,000 feet) into the air in its second major eruption this month. Ash and sand covered areas several kilometers away from the peak of the rumbling crater near Indonesia’s cultural capital Yogyakarta.
Authorities did not raise Merapi’s alert level. “There has been no reports of damage from the eruption. We urge people to stay calm and not panic,” national disaster mitigation agency spokesman Agus Wibowo said.
Merapi erupted earlier this month, shooting a massive ash cloud some 6,000 meters in the air. That eruption coated Yogyakarta and neighboring city Solo with gray dust and forced an airport closure.
Mount Merapi’s last major eruption in 2010 killed more than 300 people and forced the evacuation of 280,000 residents. That was Merapi’s most powerful eruption since 1930, which killed around 1,300 people, while another explosion in 1994 took about 60 lives, AFP said.
Courtesy of rt.com
Coronavirus: Italy reports 919 virus deaths in one day #COVID19 #coronavirus #Italy #pandemic #emergency
Italy has reported its highest number of coronavirus-related deaths in one day, with 919 deaths announced on Friday.
It has also surpassed China in the number of confirmed cases, with 86,498 cases compared to China’s 81,897, according to Italy’s Civil Protection Agency.
The hardest-hit region of Lombardy reported a sharp rise in fatalities compared with the day before, with 541 more deaths.
Italy has the highest death toll of any country, recording 9,134 deaths.
Prior to Friday’s figure, the largest daily death toll was reported on 21 March, when 793 people were said to have died.
Some 10,950 of those infected in the country had fully recovered as of Friday, compared to 10,361 the day before.
Courtesy of Sky News
Depth: 10 km
Distances:1165 km SE of Davao, Philippines / pop: 1,213,000 / local time: 22:32:48.3 2020-03-27
132 km NW of Manokwari, Indonesia / pop: 53,200 / local time: 23:32:48.3 2020-03-27
Depth: 10 km
Distances: 171 km NE of Al Başrah, Iraq / pop: 2,600,000 / local time: 13:43:43.9 2020-03-27
60 km N of Ahvāz, Iran, Islamic Republic of / pop: 842,000 / local time: 15:13:43.9 2020-03-27
25 km SW of Shūshtar, Iran, Islamic Republic of / pop: 77,600 / local time: 15:13:43.9 2020-03-27
Coronavirus: Vodafone is giving 500,000 customers and vulnerable people free unlimited internet data for 30 days #Vodafone #COVID19 #coronavirus #UK #pandemic
VODAFONE is giving 500,000 pay-monthly customers free unlimited internet data for 30 days during the coronavirus crisis.
In addition, it will also upgrade vulnerable customers to an unlimited data plan for free, also for 30 days.
The offer will help Vodafone users stay connected if they don’t already have an unlimited data plan.
Vodafone says customers can access the deal through the mobile network provider’s VeryMe rewards scheme available on the My Vodafone app.
Any pay-monthly customer, whether on a consumer or business contract, can apply if they’re registered with VeryMe and don’t already have unlimited data as part of their package.
Vodafone says it will make the offer available to 500,000 customers to begin with.
It will then look at the possibility of extending the deal or offering other help to customers.
If you’re a customer who is classed as vulnerable, you won’t be included in this pool of 500,000 customers and will be guaranteed the upgrade.
The offer will expire after the first 500,000 people redeem it, on a first-come, first-served basis.
We’ve asked Vodafone how it will determine who is a vulnerable customer and we’ll update this article when we find out more.
However, it has said all vulnerable customers will be contacted automatically.
The Sun is also checking if the mobile provider is planning on offering money off for pay-monthly customers who are already signed up to unlimited data, and if it plans on offering any perks to pay-as-you-go users.
Vodafone has around 19.5million UK customers.
Vodafone UK CEO Nick Jeffery said: “Our role in these difficult and worrying times is to keep the UK connected, even while we have to stay apart.
“If our network capacity allows, we would love to be able to offer this to even more customers and will be monitoring the feasibility of this.
“In short, if we have more to give, we will.”
The My Vodafone app can be downloaded for free on the App Store or by Google Play.
You’ll then find the free data deal on the VeryMe section of the app.
The free data deal comes after all major network providers, including Vodafone, announced they wouldn’t charge customers, or take away from their data allowance, when accessing NHS websites.
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk
Chinese doctors reveal up to 14% of ‘recovered’ patients test positive AGAIN days later raising immunity fears #COVID19 #coronavirus #China #pandemic
UP to 14 per cent of patients who have recovered from coronavirus in China tested positive again, it’s reported.
Research suggests that between three and 14 per cent of those who had initially received a positive diagnosis became reinfected.
It comes as officials in China fear a second wave of cases from people returning from other countries as lockdown measures were lifted.
New research from doctors on the frontline of the outbreak in Wuhan – where the virus originated – reported that between three and 10 per cent of cured patients tested positive again.
Tongji Hospital, which identified the first Covid-19 case, confirmed that five out of 145 patients — a little over three per cent — tested positive again in nucleic acid tests, according to state broadcaster CCTV.
Wang Wei, the hospital’s president, said: “So far there is no evidence to suggest that they are infectious.”
He added that the five patients who had tested positive again did not have any symptoms and none of their close contacts had been infected.
Mr Wang added that surveillance of similar patients showed that 80 to 90 per cent had no trace of the virus in their system one month after being discharged from the hospital, according to the report.
But, he said, these are just “small samples” and “not enough to assure us of the validity of our initial findings”.
“We need a large-scale epidemiological study to guide our disease surveillance and prevention works,” Mr Wang said.
Meanwhile, other quarantine facilities in Wuhan have seen about 5 to 10 per cent of their recovered patients test positive again.
The findings were reported by the health news outlet Life Times, which is affiliated with state-run newspaper People’s Daily.
An earlier study, from southern China’s Guangdong Province, found that as many as 14 per cent of those had recovered had tested positive again in later check-ups.
Song Tie, deputy director of the provincial Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, said last month that there was no clear conclusion as to why or whether they were still infectious.
But according to preliminary assessment, experts believed the patients were still recovering from lung infections and have yet to be fully healthy, he said.
Cai Weiping, director of the Infectious Diseases Division of the No.8 People’s Hospital, told Caixin 13 discharged patients had tested positive again.
He said the positive results in the recovered patients were found in anal swabs – a method rarely used in other parts of the country.
National treatment guidelines only require test from the throat or nose for suspected coronavirus patients.
But research by Guangzhou Medical University found the virus in faecal samples – suggesting a new path of transmission.
Some hospitals in the province since adopted the anal swab in virus tests.
Dr Weiping added that the results were in the “weak positive” range and it’s unclear whether the virus detected in the patients was still active.
The coronavirus outbreak has now killed more than 24,000 across the globe, including 3,296 in China, with over 542,000 infected.
It comes as the US has now overtaken China for the number for the number of infections, with nearly 86,000.
There have 1,300 deaths in America, almost a quarter of them in New York City, where hospitals are overwhelmed.
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk
UK coronavirus death toll rises to 759 after jump of 181 in biggest 24-hour increase so far #COVID19 #coronavirus #UK #pandemic
THE UK coronavirus death toll has risen to 759 after 181 more deaths were recorded today.
A further 168 people died in England while eight died in Scotland, six died in Wales and three died in Northern Ireland.
The youngest person to die in England was just 29 years old – and four of the patients had no underlying health conditions.
Today’s death toll is the UK’s biggest 24 hour increase so far – up from yesterday’s jump of 113.
It comes as 14,579 are infected with Covid-19 in Britain – an increase of 2,921.
Nicola Sturgeon said today that the number of people who had tested positive for Covid-19 in Scotland had risen by 165 from Thursday’s total, from 894 to 1059.
The First Minister added that 72 patients with coronavirus symptoms are in intensive care units, while Scotland’s chief medical officer Catherine Calderwood estimated more than 65,000 Scots will currently have the bug.
In Scotland, the total number of people to have died from coronavirus now sits at 33, while in England the death toll is 689.
Northern Ireland recorded three more deaths today, bringing its total death toll to 13.
Public Health Wales recorded an additional six deaths in Wales, bringing the country’s total to 34.
In Gwent, South Wales, the number of fatalities is said to be “mirroring Italy,” as the region records 358 cases so far – the highest concentration of confirmed infections per 100,000 people outside London and almost half of Wales’ total cases.
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk