Souheil Dib was eagerly awaiting the harvest of olives from his farm in Tartus, in western Syria, but fires have destroyed entire areas of Syria in recent days, leaving the branches of his olive trees charred.
61-year-old Dib inspects each branch of these trees inherited from his father for the slightest sign of life, but they all snap in his hands.
“It had a hundred trees,” he says resigned. “I have never seen a fire like it in my life.”
Favored by high temperatures, some 150 fire outbreaks broke out at dawn on Friday in the coastal provinces of Tartus and Latakia (west) as well as Homs (center), destroying more than 9,000 hectares of agricultural land, forests, orchards and olive groves , according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha).
Three people died in Latakia, according to the health ministry, and 25,000 people have been evacuated in the three provinces, according to Ocha.
Authorities announced Sunday that they had controlled the fire. On Monday, the layer of ash that covered the disaster area was still smoky and the surrounding mountains were huge charred surfaces.
With the economic crisis that the country is suffering after more than nine years of war, Souheil Dib had this year on the harvest to guarantee its needs for oil and olives.
“Our hopes were placed on this season to compensate for our successive losses (…) The olives were already ripe and fat and if it had not been for these fires we would be preparing today to harvest them”, laments this man who has spent his life taking care of these trees.
Courtesy of web24.news
Flash floods in Cambodia have so far left 18 people dead and forced the evacuation of 25,192 people, Seak Vichet, a spokesman for the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM), said on Friday.
Tropical storm-triggered rains caused floods in 19 of the kingdom’s 25 cities and provinces since the beginning of the month, he said, adding that 212,676 people have also been affected by the floods.
“By Friday morning, the floods have killed 18 people, including eight children,” Vichet told Xinhua, adding that the worst-hit provinces included Pursat, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, and Kandal as well as southwestern suburb of Phnom Penh.
The floods have also inundated 51,133 houses and 204,650 hectares of rice and other crops, the spokesman said. So far, 12,958 hectares of the affected rice and other crops have been destroyed.
Transportation has also been disrupted, as several major roads in the worst-hit provinces have been closed.
Water Resources and Meteorology Minister Lim Keanhor said on Thursday that further rain, wind and high waves are expected on Oct. 17-19 because the kingdom is suffering from the impact of tropical storm Saudel, which could lead to further flooding.
“People living in plains, along waterways and near mountains, fishermen and sea travelers should be extra-vigilant to avoid any possible dangers,” he said in a press statement.
Floods usually hit Cambodia between August and October. Last year, flash floods claimed 30 lives and storms killed eight people and injured 131 others, according to the NCDM.
Courtesy of xinhuanet.com
Heavy rains in Tolitoli Regency in Indonesia’s Central Sulawesi Province caused flooding Friday in the villages of Silondou and Janja, according to the Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management (BNPB).
A total of 350 homes were damaged and a bridge was closed to traffic due to the risk of collapse.
Officials said necessary units are working in coordination to meet flood victims’ needs.
They are currently trying to find out whether other settlements were damaged due to the floods.
The meteorology agency warned that there may be floods due to showers in various regions tomorrow, including Palu, Sigi, Donggala, Parimo, Poso, Buol and Morowali.
Indonesia is located near the equator, and floods and landslides often occur, especially from October to April.
Courtesy of http://www.aa.com.tr
Nearly 500,000 power outages reported across Texas & Louisiana as Hurricane Delta pummels gulf coast with 80mph gusts
Nearly a half-million residents in Texas and Louisiana have been left without power after Hurricane Delta made landfall along the US gulf coast, battering cities with winds up to 80 miles per hour.
Delta hit land in southwest Louisiana on Friday night, inflicting widespread damage and knocking out electricity for some 379,636 people in the state and another 108,402 in neighboring Texas, according to PowerOutage.us, a project that aggregates data from utility companies around the country.
Footage circulating on social media showed powerful gusts sweeping through the streets of multiple Louisiana cities, including Jennings and Lake Charles, where power lines were also seen downed by the wind.
As the storm surge began to swell ocean tides along the Louisiana coast on Friday evening, flooding could be seen in some areas of the state, including in the town of Delcambre. According to the New Orleans National Weather Service, however, no flash flood warnings are currently in effect.
Though the storm was initially classified a Category 2 hurricane, producing winds up to 100 miles per hour, it was downgraded to a Category 1 soon after making landfall. Delta is expected to continue to lose steam as it moves northeast across Louisiana and will eventually become a tropical storm, according to forecasts from local meteorologists.
The storm comes on the heels of a number of destructive weather systems in recent months, with the Category 4 Hurricane Laura pounding Louisiana and neighboring states in August with winds up to 150 miles per hour, resulting in some 77 deaths in total and more than $14.1 billion in damage. Tropical Storm Beta also hit Texas last month, wreaking destruction across parts of the state’s coast.
Courtesy of rt.com
A landslide in southwestern Guatemala has killed at least four people and injured 10 others, civil protection authorities said late on Tuesday.
The landslide destroyed eight homes in the municipality of San Marcos La Laguna in the country’s Solola region, national disaster agency CONRED said in a statement. The dead were a man, two women and an 8-month-old baby, the agency added.
Rescue operations were continuing at the scene, CONRED said.
Courtesy of malaysia.news.yahoo.com
STORM SURGE UK hit by flash floods after Storm Alex brings MONTH’S worth of rain as river bursts its banks in Wales
STORM Alex has battered Britain leaving a trail of destruction and flash-flooding in its wake.
A river in Wales burst its banks after an entire MONTH’S worth of rain fell in some parts of the UK.
There are currently 21 flood warnings and 83 flood alerts in place across the country.
Abergwyngregyn in wales was hit hard today as the river burst its banks.
A road is closed as officials scramble to deal with the incident and one resident reported several sheep have disappeared.
Footage shows the roaring river bubbling over its banks, with plumes of murky brown water jetting dangerously close to homes and gardens.
Meanwhile floodwaters in England have caused road issues and disrupted public transport.
Floodwaters of up to 4ft were recorded in the southeast with London and Essex badly affected.
Somerset saw more than half a foot of rain in the Blackpitts Gate area, and the Met Office issued severe weather warnings for the first time in more than six months.
And Gadebridge Park in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, was also completely submerged today and Saturday following the unrelenting downpours.
Officials could be seen assessing damage as floodwater lapped at front doors and engulfed gardens.
Areas of Northumberland also saw flooding with pictures showing ankle-deep water seeping into frustrated resident’s trousers.
And amber “danger to life” warnings for parts of the West Midlands, west and south-west England and most of Wales have been extended until midday today.
They were due to expire around 6am this morning but continuous heavy rain has sparked fears there could be further disruption caused by rainfall today.
Meanwhile, drivers in West Lothian in Scotland had to be rescued after they became stuck in knee-deep floodwaters.
Pictures show emergency workers helping one man into a bright green dinghy, the entire bottom of his car submerged in chilly waters.
And today hundreds of fitness fanatics braved the miserable conditions to head out on the 40th London Marathon – taking place virtually this year due to coronaviurs.
Runners could be seen sporting soaked cagoules over their gym kits as they pounded the soggy pavements.
A small group of elite athletes including Mo Farrah were allowed to run the course, pounding pavements for more than 19.8 laps in a fenced-off ‘controlled secure biosphere’ around St James’s Park in London.
Twitter users expressed fears some parts of would need to be rerouted due to giant puddles and rising water levels.
And last night boozy Brits were seen enjoying a rainy night out on the town despite the wet weather
Large crowds of people were seen in Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, London and Liverpool last night.
Despite soaring Covid-19 rates in the North there was little social distancing.
Storm Alex is drenching the UK, with amber weather warnings for rain in place for Wales, the West Midlands, South West England and also parts of Scotland.
It marks the first time that amber warnings have been issued for rain since March.
Yesterday, Meteorologist John Griffiths said: “There’s still a lot of wet weather to get through today and into tonight, so we haven’t really seen the worst of it yet.”
Forecasters ominously predicted yesterday that the “worst is yet to come” from Storm Alex.
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk
Four people were reported missing, with one of them feared dead, as floods and landslides damaged houses and a bridge in Indonesia’s western province of West Java on Saturday (Oct 3) evening, according to disaster agency officials.
Heavy downpours has caused a river to overflow, engulfing houses in the surrounding areas in the Cianjur district, said Kuswara Retana, a senior official of the local disaster management agency.
“A man has drowned at a reservoir and confirmed dead, but his body is still missing. Three others were also reported missing after being swept away by the strong current,” he told Xinhua.
The flooding caused damages to some 10 houses and a bridge, forcing the residents to flee home and take shelters in a mosque and the neighbors’ two-story houses, Retana said.
Foods, clothes and other humanitarian aids were badly needed there, he added.
Seni Wulandari, an official from the provincial search and rescue office, said rescue workers were heading to the scene to search for victims and provide help for the affected people.
Heavy rains have also triggered landslides in three spots in the province, impacting the access to the affected areas and causing difficulties to disaster agency workers, Budi Budiman, head of the emergency unit of the provincial disaster management agency, told Xinhua.
The Indonesian weather agency has warned of intensive rains in the months ahead.
Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) on Saturday (Oct 4) warned of extreme weather that can happen due to the rainy season and the La Nina phenomenon.
The agency’s deputy for climatology Herizal said like the rainy season, the La Nina phenomenon in indonesia causes an accumulation of rainfalls up to 40 percent above the normal condition.
“The rainy season as well as the La Nina have potentials to trigger hydro-meteorological disasters such as floods and landslides,” said Herizal.
BMKG predicts that La Nina will continue to develop until the end of 2020.
La Nina begins to drop during the January-February period and will end around the March-April period 2021.
Courtesy of thestar.com.my
A storm in France and Italy has caused severe flooding and at least two people are dead and nine are missing with hundreds of rescues taking place.
The UK has been hit by the fringes of the storm, with heavy rain and winds set to persist throughout the weekend.
In France, Nice and its surrounding areas were the hardest hit overnight as 500mm (20ins) of rain was recorded over 12 hours in some areas, according to Meteo France.
That amounts to nearly a year’s worth of average rainfall, more than on 3 October 2015 when 20 people died in floods in Cannes and the surrounding area on the French Riviera.
In the village of Sambughetto, in the northwest Italian region of Piedmont, a record 630mm (24.8ins) of rain fell in 24 hours.
Roads have been swept away and homes have been badly damaged in the mountainous region on the border of France and Italy.
French authorities said firefighters were looking for at least eight people who are missing.
They include two firefighters whose vehicle was carried away by a swollen river.
Christian Estrosi, Nice’s mayor, expressed his “sympathy” for the families of those missing and said the flooding was the worst in the area for more than a century, adding that he was shocked by what he saw when he flew over the scene in a helicopter.
He said more than 100 homes have been destroyed or severely damaged.
Firefighters said several dozen people were evacuated from their homes overnight.
French President Emmanuel Macron said he is thinking of the victims and their loved ones as he expressed his gratitude for rescue workers.
“Together, we will get through this,” he tweeted.
French Prime Minister Jean Castex and Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin are expected to arrive in the area later on Saturday.
The storm caused heavy winds of more than 112mph (180kph) in Brittany between Thursday and Friday.
In Italy, a firefighter was killed after he was hit by a falling tree and another man died after his car was swept into a river when the road subsided. Another Italian was missing as night fell.
There were fears the storm would bring flooding, with the water level in the Po river, one of northern Italy’s biggest rivers, rising by 3 metres.
In Venice, the Italian city’s long-delayed flood barriers were deployed for the first time on Saturday.
Forecasters warned the storm could combine with high tides to inundate the sinking city.
The network of 78 bright yellow barriers that guard the entrance to the Venetian lagoon started to lift from the seabed more than three hours before high tide was scheduled.
Driven by strong winds and heavy rain, the tide was expected to reach 130cm (51ins), well below the 187cm (74ins) tide that plunged much of Venice under water last November, but enough to leave low-lying areas deep under water.
The barrier system, called Mose, was designed in 1984 and was due to come into service in 2011 but the project was plagued by corruption, overrunning costs and prolonged delays.
It successfully protected the city from major flooding, bringing relief after years of inundation
Courtesy of Sky News
At least 42 people were killed after their houses were swept away Tuesday in a landslide caused by torrential rain in the western Cameroon city, state media reported. According to Reuters, rescue teams spent the night scouring the rubble of destroyed houses in the town of Bafoussam, in the country’s western highlands. Among the bodies recovered were those of 26 children, Cameroon Radio Television (CRTV) reported. The search will resume today for additional bodies believed to remain under the rubble.
Courtesy of alanbatnews.net