The French government has placed the entire nation on high alert after three people were killed in a suspected terrorist attack in Nice. Police in Avignon later gunned down an assailant in a separate incident.
Prime Minister Jean Castex announced on Thursday that the country’s Vigipirate national security alert system would be set at “attack emergency,” the highest level of the security protocol. The alert system was raised from “enhanced security – risk of attack,” French media reported.
Vigipirate is a French acronym for “vigilance and protection of installations against the risk of terrorist bombing attacks.”
Three people were killed hours earlier at a church in Nice. The suspect shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he used a knife to attack the congregation. Later, French media reported that a knife-wielding man was shot and killed after attempting to attack police in the city of Avignon.
Castex condemned the “cowardly” and “barbaric” attack in Nice, and said that the whole country was mourning for those who were killed.
The incidents occurred just one day after the French interior minister warned that the terrorist threat in the country is “very high.” The French government has vowed to rein in Islamic extremism after a schoolteacher, Samuel Paty, was beheaded by a radicalized Chechen refugee earlier this month. Paty’s murder was thought to have been provoked by his decision to show caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed to his students during a lecture about freedom of speech.
Courtesy of rt.com
‘TERROR’ ATTACK Three feared dead in ‘terror incident’ as cops arrest man following mass stabbing attack in Reading, UK #TerrorAttack #Reading #UK
THREE people are feared to have been killed in a mass stabbing at a Reading park this evening which is being described as a “terror incident”.
A distressing video on social media has shown four people on the floor, surrounded by witnesses and officers.
A source said there had been three fatalities, but this has not been confirmed by police or emergency services.
In the video, officers were seen giving CPR to the victims who were covered in blood.
One person can be heard shouting: “He’s still breathing”, while another, presumably a medic, is asking for a defibrillator.
Authorities have urged people not to share the shocking footage on social media.
The multiple stabbing is suspected to be terror-related, a security source has told the PA news agency.
The security source added that the man who has been arrested is Libyan.
At least two people are being treated for knife wounds in hospital.
One eyewitness, who said he was around 10 metres from the scene, said the attack looked “completely random”.
Lawrence Wort, 20, a personal trainer from Chippenham, said: “So the park was pretty full, a lot of people sat around drinking with friends when one lone person walked through, suddenly shouted some unintelligible words and went around a large group of around 10, trying to stab them.
“He stabbed three of them, severely in the neck, and under the arms, and then turned and started running towards me, and we turned and started running.
“When he realised that he couldn’t catch us, he tried to stab another group sat down, he got one person in the back of the neck and then when he realised everyone was starting to run, he ran out the park.”
Dan, 26, told The Mirror he saw blood spurting and victims dropping “like a weight” as a man appeared to be “tapping them on the head”.
He said: “I thought they were playing duck duck goose and thought someone had been sick, we realised it was blood spraying out.”
The knifeman “shouted some unintelligible words,” according to another witness, before stabbing his victims in the neck and under their arms.
A source told the Mirror a hero police cop spotted a suspect running away with a knife and “rugby tackled him to the ground”.
Thames Valley Police said: “Police attended at around 7pm along with other emergency services.
“Officers arrested a man at the scene who is now in police custody.
“A number of people sustained injuries and were taken to hospital.
“A police cordon is in place in Forbury Gardens as officers investigate. We are asking the public to avoid the area at this time.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: “My thoughts are with all of those affected by the appalling incident in Reading and my thanks to the emergency services on the scene.”
Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted: “Deeply concerned to hear reports of an incident in Reading.
“My thoughts are with everyone involved, including police and emergency responders at the scene.”
Cops have not revealed any details about the serious incident but they have said an investigation is underway.
A spokesperson for Thames Valley Police tweeted: “We are aware of reports of an incident in Forbury Gardens, Reading.
“Officers are on the scene and investigating the incident.”
Earlier today a Black Lives Matter protest was held in the park with the Forbury Gardens bandstand used to deliver speeches.
BLM organisers said the violence was not connected to the protest.
Nieema Hassan said in a video message posted to Facebook: “They were very peaceful and we worked with the police liaison.
“In terms of the protest and the people who attended from Black Lives Matter, we’re all safe. None of us are affected. We had all left by the time this happened.”
Thames Valley Police said: “There is no indication that this incident is linked to the Black Lives Matter protest that took place in Reading today.”
Councillor Jason Brock, leader of Reading Council, tweeted: “Concerning reports from Reading town centre – please stay clear of the area as Police are dealing with a serious incident.
“@ReadingCouncil are in touch with the emergency services and will support them as necessary.”
An eyewitness tweeted: “Not looking good down here folks so best avoid round by The Forbury and let the emergency services do their thing. We are lucky to have them.”
Courtesy of Sky News
SEVERAL people have been wounded following a knife attack in The Hague tonight, according to reports.
Police reported that emergency were on the scene but it is unsure if there have been any more casualties.
The attack took place on a busy shopping street in the Dutch capital which was even more busy than usual due to Black Friday.
Dutch police are said to be hunting a man aged between 45 and 50-years-old.
Reports have suggested that the attack took place at a Hudson’s BAY STORE.
Courtesy of express.co.uk
ARMED police shot dead a terrorist on London Bridge after five people was injured in a horror stabbing frenzy in the capital. The knifeman was also wearing a hoax suicide vest, police have revealed, adding that at least two members of the public have died as a result of their injuries.
Panic spread through London Bridge at around 2pm this afternoon when the knifeman struck at innocent members of the public. he force said in a statement: “I can confirm at 2pm today police were called to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge. Emergency officers attended. A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from the City of London Police and I can confirm the suspect died at the scene.” The force saaid he was wearing a fake bomb vest.
Another person on Twitter added: “Loads of police going to London Bridge right now.”
The London Metropolitan Police said: “We are currently dealing with an incident at London Bridge.
“Please stand by for updates.”
Sniffer dogs are also at the scene.
Pictures show several police vans with officers in riot gear.
Initial reports state a man had been shot, but officers now state a suspect has been detained. Another person has been killed.
Another social media user said there was a “Huge amount of police”.
A police helicopter is also circling the area in the sky and police boats were also in use.
The bridge has been evacuated while the police investigate.
Witness Cecilia Sodero was on the top deck of a bus going over London Bridge when she heard shots and saw a man lying on the ground with a “very scary device, like a bomb device”.
“I was like okay, this is unusual, so me and the other passengers started looking outside, to see what’s going on, and we saw like six people holding someone on the floor,” she told Sky News.
“At some point someone says ‘oh, he has a knife’, and we were like, oh my gosh, this guy is supposed to stab someone and people was running away.
“The police officers finally they removed the knife. But then what happened is when they shot the guy, the guy is still alive, and they shoot and he’s trying to pull the black jacket off so I was able to see the vest that he was wearing. And it seems like a very scary device, like a bomb device, at that point we just ran away from the bus, crossing the bridge in the other direction. The whole thing was very scary to be honest.”
Some witnesses have claimed a man has been shot, while Sky News reported one person has died. However, it is not known if this was the knifeman or an innocent member of the public.
This is yet to be confirmed by Scotland Yard.
Video footage from the scene shows armed police officers running towards London Bridge and shouting at people to “get inside”.
More dramatic video footage also shows a man laying on the ground with armed police standing over him.
Footage from the scene showf a white HGV lorry across the central reservation heading into incoming traffic.
Police cars were seen blocking off the southbound carriageway while traffic was gridlocked heading north, away from London Bridge station and into the City.
Armed police officers were seen moving along the footpath, which has terror bollards in place, towards London Bridge. One video shows what appears to be police pulling equipment out of a vehicle nearby.
Those in the video can be heard saying: “They’ve actually got guns out. They’ve got the guns out.”
The attack comes nearly two and a half years since the capital was rocked by a terror attack which left 11 people dead – including all three terrorists.
Political commentator Owen Jones tweeted: “I’m near London Bridge, looks like a bad incident – people running, police yelling ‘keep moving’, lots of emergency services, area cordoned off. Stay safe everyone.”
BBC correspondent John McManus told BBC News that he had heard several gunshots on London Bridge.
“Just a few minutes ago I was walking across London Bridge on the south bank to the north bank of the bridge,” he said.
“There appeared to be a fight going on on the other side of the bridge, with several men attacking one man.”
Workers in the London Bridge area state they are being kept inside their places of work.
One worker told Sky News they could see a woman being carried from the bridge.
Police are still demanding people “move away” from the area.
Another worker in one of the offices near to the bridge say the atmosphere is “tense” and officers are telling employees to “stay away” from the windows.
One eye witness told Sky news: “We saw lots of police cars head towards the bridge.
“We saw a man on the ground with people pointing guns at him.
“At that point we were escorted away from the window.”
Police have cordoned off nearby Tooley Street, while trains are also not running from London Bridge train or Tube stations.
The British Transport Police said on Twitter: “We are aware of an incident at #LondonBridge and are assisting our colleagues at @metpoliceuk.
“London Bridge station is currently closed and trains are none stopping.
“Please check with @metpoliceuk for further updates.”
Another video taken from inside a bus on London Bridge showed three armed police officers pointing down the west-side footpath.
Videos taken from people stuck on busses at the scene show a crowd flocking around an injured person at the Monument side of the Bridge.
Workers told Sky News they are now being evacuated from buildings.
Police have also been pictured on boats on the Thames.
They are reported to be stopping traffic on the water also.
The London Ambulance service also released a statement.
It read: “We have now declared a major incident and have a number of crews at the scene in London Bridge.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he is being kept updated on the “major incident”.
He said in a statement from No10: “I’m being kept updated on the incident at London Bridge and want to thank the police and all emergency services for their immediate response.”
People in offices continue to be evacuated.
The Met Police say the incident is an “isolated attack” and there will not be further instances.
They added the incident is “terror-related”.
Courtesy of express.co.uk
A suspected knife assault near a train station in Villeurbanne, France, has left one person dead and six wounded, according to reports. Police are said to have arrested one man and are seeking another.
The attack occurred on Saturday afternoon at Laurent Bonnevay station in Villeurbanne, metropolitan Lyon. Local media reported that two alleged perpetrators attacked people at random in the parking lot, with one person killed and several others injured.
One man has been arrested, according to reports, and a manhunt is ongoing for the second. The city’s Metro service was suspended as police descended on the scene.
Footage shared on social media purportedly shows a crowd of onlookers surrounding and subduing one of the suspects at one of the station’s elevators. Another man seen holding a long, thin object may also be a suspect, as one was reportedly armed with a kitchen skewer.
Courtesy of rt.com