Archive | Landslide Alert RSS for this section
The Mount Mayon volcano in Albay. Credit: @phivolcs_dost
Thousands of people have been forced into emergency shelters by an active volcano in the Philippines, with warnings a “hazardous eruption” could happen in days.
Officials raised the alert level around Mount Mayon in Albay province to critical after it spewed ash thousands of metres into the air and magma could be seen glowing in the crater.
The first “steam-driven eruption” started at around 5pm local time on 13 January, with the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology recording an ash column 2,500 meters high.
Two further eruptions have since been recorded, with villagers reporting a sulphurous smell and rumbling sound.
In a statement, the institute said: “Mayon is exhibiting relatively high levels of unrest and that magma is at the crater and that a hazardous eruption is possible within weeks or even days.”
Residents have been urged to protect against inhaling the ash by wearing masks or covering their noses and mouths with damp cloths.
Given the increasing danger, officials have recommended that a “danger zone” of a 7km radius be enforced “due to the danger of rockfalls, landslides and sudden explosions or dome collapses that may generate hazardous volcanic flows”.
Deadly cold lava flows or “lahars” may also be triggered.
People living outside the danger zone have been warned to take precautions against potential roof collapses due to the weight of ash and rainfall.
Mayon last erupted in 2014, with lava flows forcing thousands of people to evacuate.
It was most deadly in February 1841, when 1,200 people were killed and lava buried a town.
Experts say it has been displaying abnormal behaviour since late last year.
Courtesy of Sky News
ICED IN 13,000 tourists trapped amid avalanche warnings in Swiss ski resort after heavy snowfall blocks all routes
Photo By AFP – Some 13,000 tourists have been stranded in the town
HEAVY snowfall has trapped some 13,000 tourists at Zermatt, one of Switzerland’s most popular ski stations, the Alpine resort said today.
The snow has blocked all roads and the train leading to the resort in the southern Swiss canton of Valais, which was also hit by some power outages, head of the station Janine Imesch told AFP.
There are currently “around 13,000 tourists at Zermatt,” she said, while the station website warned that “arrivals and departures are not possible at the moment.”
The main access road has been closed since early Monday, while the train was halted Monday evening, she said.
Zermatt is home to some 5,500 inhabitants and has the capacity to accommodate 13,400 tourists spread across hotels and rental apartments.
But the stranded tourists will not be able to take advantage of the abundant snow for the time being, due to the high risk of avalanches in the area.
“It is not possible to do downhill or cross country, but that’s ok. It’s a bit romantic,” Imesch said, adding “there is no panic.”
A reconnaissance flight is planned over the area to help determine the situation and how to proceed.
Photo By AFP – Workers remove snow beside the Zermatt train station after heavy snowfall
Photo By AFP – The snow has made some roads impassable
A number of other Valais villages were also isolated by the heavy precipitation.
The Simplon region of Valais was hit by two metres of snow in a 24-hour period, the ATS news agency reported.
Mud and rockslides, as well as flooding, have forced the closure of a number of roads across Valais, as has the risk of avalanches, which regional police have said is currently at the highest possible level.
At lower altitudes, heavy rains have meanwhile forced the evacuation of around 20 people from the tiny village of Eyholz, and the hamlet of Mottec was also emptied as a precaution, the RTS broadcaster reported.
Photo By AFP – Stranded tourists will not be able to take advantage of the abundant snow for the time being, due to the high risk of avalanches in the area
Beyond Valais, the first men’s World Cup downhill training run in Wengen, in the canton of Bern, was cancelled Tuesday due to snow and high winds, organisers said.
Overnight winds of up to 200 kilometres per hour (125 miles per hour) also meant there was significant damage to infrastructure on the course, notably at the finish area where tents and the stands were hit.
The piste itself was unaffected.
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk