Archive | Lockdown Alert RSS for this section

Paris attack UPDATE: Two French police officers ‘killed’ by gunman

An eyewitness has described a man getting out of a car and opening fire “with a Kalashnikov” on the Champs-Elysees.
 
Two police officers have reportedly been killed in Paris by a gunman who was then shot dead.
 
The attacker is believed to have deliberately targeted the officers and was known to security services.
 
The officers were shot outside a Marks and Spencer store on the Champs-Elysees – one of the French capital’s main shopping streets and an area popular with tourists.
Police vehicles seen on the Champs-Elysees, near the Arc de Tiomphe
Police vehicles along the Champs-Elysees, near the Arc De Triomphe
Security has been tight in the country, coming just days before the first round of France’s presidential election on Sunday.
 
An eyewitness said the gunman got out of a car and began shooting “with a Kalashnikov”.
 
Police said one of the officers who was killed was in a car which had been stopped at a red light by the attacker.
 
The gunman opened fire as the officers were guarding an area near the Franklin Roosevelt metro station on Thursday night.
 
Despite the attacker being killed, police are still on high alert and officers have been seen pointing their weapons at members of public as they clear the area.
Famous Paris street comes to a standstill after a police officer is shot
Emergency services at the scene of the attack
Authorities are now searching the home of the gunman in the east of Paris.
 
An interior ministry spokesman said it was too early to say what the motive was for the attack.
 
It is not known whether it was terror-related.
 
But the shooting could have been an attempt at an armed robbery, according to police sources.
 
Many police vehicles can be seen on the famous avenue.
Police officers block the access to the Champs Elysees
Police officers block access to the Champs-Elysees
A witness identified only as Ines told French television station BFM that she heard a shooting, saw a man’s body on the ground and the area was quickly evacuated by police.
 
Sky’s Mark White said: “Two men were arrested a few days ago with an arsenal of weapons. And that there was a concern that an attack was being planned to coincide with the French election.”
 
He added: “The real concern as far as the authorities are concerned, given that we had arrests two days ago and now what looks to be terrorist-related incident is we may be experiencing a wave or some kind of coordinated effort to disrupt the French elections.”
 
The police investigation of these individuals led them to believe that a planned terrorist attack was due to take place imminently.
 
US President Donald Trump said the shooting resembled recent terrorist attacks.
 
He said: “First of all, our condolences from our country to the people of France. Again, it is happening, it seems.
 
“It looks like another terrorist attack. What can you say? It just never ends. We have to be strong and we have to be vigilant, and I have been saying it for a long time.”
Courtesy of Sky News

French police officer killed by gunman in Paris ‘terror’ attack

A police officer has been killed and another wounded in what police believe was probably a terror shooting incident in Paris.
 
Police sources say the officers were attacked on the Champs-Elysees and the person who fired on them has also been killed.
 
At least two attackers are reported to be involved and authorities are warning people to avoid the area.
 
An eyewitness told Reuters a man got out of a car and began shooting “with a kalashnikov.”
 
But French media are reporting two shots were fired in the incident near the Marks and Spencer store and one of the attackers is still at large.
 
Many police vehicles can be seen on the famous avenue.
 
A witness identified only as Ines told French television station BFM that she heard a shooting, saw a man’s body on the ground and the area was quickly evacuated by police.
Courtesy of Sky News

BREAKING: Nine schools locked down as Facebook Live killer spotted

SEVERAL schools are on red alert after a sudden burst of sightings of the Facebook Live killer.
 
Steven Stephens horrified the world yesterday by live streaming the murder of a pensioner.
 
In the sick video, the killer approached and executed an old man at point-blank range.
 
He’s been hunted since the killing yesterday in the US city of Cleveland, Ohio.
 
Now it’s feared he’s resurfaced in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, after a series of sightings.
 
Eight elementary schools and at least one high school in the west of the city are now locked down.
Courtesy of dailystar.co.uk

Three bomb explosions near Borussia Dortmund’s football team bus in Germany

There has been a bomb explosion near the Borussia Dortmund team bus in Germany.
 
One player Marc Bartra is reported to have been injured and some of the vehicle’s windows were broken.
 
The blast happened as the vehicle was leaving the team hotel ahead of the side’s Champions League match tonight.
 
The explosion took place 10km from the stadium, where the team is due to face Monaco in the quarter-finals.
 
Borussia Dortmund said there was no danger at the game venue.
 
A decision on whether the match will go ahead will be taken shortly.
Courtesy of Sky News

Suspect held as ‘bomb-like device’ found in Oslo, Norway

Police in Oslo, Norway
Police in Oslo, Norway. Pic: File
 
A “bomb-like device” has been discovered in central Oslo, according to Norwegian police.
 
A suspect has been arrested and is in custody.
 
A large area has been cordoned off following the security alert, reports say.
 
The incident comes a day after Sweden was hit by a terror attack, when a lorry was driven at shoppers in the capital Stockholm, killing four people.
 
“We have cordoned off a large area when we have found a bomb-like object. We’ll be back with more,” Oslo police wrote on Twitter.
 
They later updated with: “We have no control on the spot, and are now awaiting until necessary investigations are concluded.”
 
“We have control of a person with a status of a suspect,” they added.
Courtesy of Sky News

Terror Attack – Injuries And Deaths Reported In Stockholm, Sweden

A truck has crashed into a department store Ahlens at Drottninggatan in the centre of Stockholm
A truck has crashed into a department store Ahlens at Drottninggatan in the centre of Stockholm
Police say they are investigating a ‘deliberate’ attack after a truck drove into pedestrians in Stockholm, killing two people.
 
Swedish broadcaster SVT says shots have been fired in the area, although security services are yet to confirm.
 
There are also reports of a separate shooting incident in a second location about 20 minutes from the pedestrian shopping street where the crash took place.
 
According to the Swedish paper Aftonbladet, one eye witness in the shopping mall said she saw “hundreds of people” running for their lives.
 
Another witness described the panic, saying: “I went to the main street when a big truck came out of nowhere. I could not see if anyone was driving it but it got out of control. I saw at least two being run over. I ran as fast as I could from there.”
 
Others reported hearing screams and seeing “a huge truck” crashing into the wall of a shop in the Ahlens Mall.
 
Armed police have now cordoned off an area, and police cars, helicopters and ambulances are at the scene.
Courtesy of Sky News

WASHINGTON ON LOCKDOWN White House bomb scare evacuation ‘after man approaches building claiming to have explosives’

Police are pictured arresting the suspect outside the White House
Police are pictured arresting the suspect outside the White House
A Secret Service official says an explosive ordinance team was on the scene this morning to examine the package about a block from the White House
 
THE White House was dramatically placed on lockdown while President Trump was inside after a “suspicious package” was discovered.
 
A suspect was arrested as Secret Service agents cleared all media and visitors from the North Lawn and eagle-eyed snipers were spotted roaming the Presidential property.
 A Secret Service officer patrols the north lawn at the White House in Washington
A Secret Service officer patrols the north lawn at the White House in Washington
The Secret Service locked doors as the Press Corps were issued with a Shelter in Place warning
The Secret Service locked doors as the Press Corps were issued with a Shelter in Place warning
The man reportedly approached an officer half a block from the White House and made a ‘suspicious’ comment while holding a package.
 
Cops detained the suspect and seized the package.
 
A security perimeter was established near the White House grounds, but officials say all other West Wing activity is proceeding normally and now all road restrictions relating to the incident have been lifted.
 
An official with the U.S Secret Service said: “Secret Service investigating suspicious package near White House grounds. Road closures in effect.”
 
Journalist Andrew Feinberg had earlier tweeted: “White House on lockdown at 10:25am for a ‘suspicious package’ per Secret Service Uniformed Division office.”
 
Roads around the building were also closed, according to NBC reporter Peter Alexander.
 
Some members of the White House Press Corps appear to have been locked inside the press room as the Secret Service investigate.
 
They were issued with a “shelter in place” warning which has now been lifted.
 
The Secret Service later said it had established a security perimeter and that members of the public and the media were being moved to a safe distance.
Members of the White House Press Corps stand behind the locked door of the briefing room at the White House
Members of the White House Press Corps stand behind the locked door of the briefing room at the White House
Doors were locked while the investigation, which is still ongoing, proceeded eventually leading to he arrest of a man
Doors were locked while the investigation, which is still ongoing, proceeded eventually leading to he arrest of a man
The lockdown was instigated just hours before the morning press briefing with Sean Spicer.
 
The service’s official Twitter account posted a picture of a car with the statement: “Suspicious package investigation continues; suspect in custody!”
 
Journalist Trey Yingst tweeted that the man allegedly arrested by agents had a warrant out for his arrest and a bomb robot was being sent out to investigate the package.
 
Fox News reports that the male suspect was outside the grounds when he told officers he had a bomb in his bag.
President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House during the bomb scare
President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House during the bomb scare
A Secret Service official says an explosive ordinance team was on the scene this morning to examine the package near the White House.
 
The investigation comes after two recent fence-jumping incidents at the White House.
 
A California man was charged with jumping the fence while carrying two cans of Mace and a woman from Washington state got tangled up in her shoelaces trying to jump the barrier last week.
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk

STREET ON LOCKDOWN – UK – Bomb squad shuts down Birmingham street after ‘live grenade found amongst scrap metal’

 
A BOMB SQUAD has been called in after a Birmingham street was placed on lockdown when a live hand grenade was “found in a consignment of scrap metal”.
 
Police were called to Trevor Street, Nechells, as a witness told the Birmingham Mail “a grenade with a pin still in it” has been found.
 
The Mail reported that the grenade was found by a scrap metal dealer, but police have said it was reported by a removal man.
 
A West Midlands Police spokesman said:”Police have been called to Trevor Street, Nechells, by a removal man who discovered an unexploded grenade amongst property this morning (Monday 27 March).
 
“Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) have been called to assess the device.
 
“A small cordon is currently in place as a precautionary measure.”
Courtesy of thesun.co.uk

Highest radiation reading since 3/11 detected at Fukushima No. 1 reactor

Radiation Alert
The radiation level in the containment vessel of reactor 2 at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 power plant has reached a maximum of 530 sieverts per hour, the highest since the triple core meltdown in March 2011, Tokyo Electric Power Co. Holdings Inc. said.
 
Tepco said on Thursday that the blazing radiation reading was taken near the entrance to the space just below the pressure vessel, which contains the reactor core.
 
The high figure indicates that some of the melted fuel that escaped the pressure vessel is nearby.
 
At 530 sieverts, a person could die from even brief exposure, highlighting the difficulties ahead as the government and Tepco grope their way toward dismantling all three reactors crippled by the March 2011 disaster.
 
Tepco also announced that, based on its analysis of images taken by a remote-controlled camera, that there is a 2-meter hole in the metal grating under the pressure vessel in the reactor’s primary containment vessel. It also thinks part of the grating is warped.
 
The hole could have been caused when the fuel escaped the pressure vessel after the mega-quake and massive tsunami triggered a station blackout that crippled the plant’s ability to cool the reactors.
 
The searing radiation level, described by some experts as “unimaginable,” far exceeds the previous high of 73 sieverts per hour at the reactor.
 
Tepco said it calculated the figure by analyzing the electronic noise in the camera images caused by the radiation. This estimation method has a margin of error of plus or minus 30 percent, it said.
 
An official of the National Institute of Radiological Sciences said medical professionals have never considered dealing with this level of radiation in their work.
 
According to the institute, 4 sieverts of radiation exposure would kill 1 in 2 people.
 
Experts say 1,000 millisieverts, or 1 sievert, could lead to infertility, loss of hair and cataracts, while exposure to doses above that increases the risk of cancer.
 
According to Tepco, readings of surface radiation on parts used inside a normally operating pressure vessel can reach several thousands sieverts per hour.
 
The discovery spells difficulty of removing the fuel debris to decommission at the plant. The government and Tepco hope to locate the fuel and start removing it in 2021.
 
In the coming weeks, the utility plans to deploy a remote-controlled robot to check conditions inside the containment vessel, but the utility is likely to have to change its plan.
 
For one thing, it will have to reconsider the route the robot takes into the interior because of the hole in the grating.
 
Also, given the extraordinary level of radiation, the robot would only be able to operate for less than two hours before it is destroyed.
 
That is because it is designed to withstand exposure of up to 1,000 sieverts. Based on the calculation of 73 sieverts per hour, the robot could run for more than 10 hours, but 530 sieverts per hour means it would be rendered inoperable in less than two hours.
 
Tepco has been probing reactor 2’s containment vessel since last week.
 
On Monday, it found a black mass deposited on the grating directly under the pressure vessel. The images, captured using a camera attached to a telescopic arm the same day, showed part of the grating was missing. Further analysis found the 2-meter hole in an area beyond the missing section on the structure.
 
If the deposits are confirmed to be melted fuel, it would be the first time the utility has found any of it at the three reactors that suffered core meltdowns.
 
The world’s worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl in 1986 triggered core meltdowns in reactors 1 through 3. Portions of the core in each reactor are believed to have melted through their pressure vessels and pooled at the bottom of their containment vessels.
 
The actual condition of the melted fuel remains unknown because the radiation is too high to check it.
 
Meanwhile, a nuclear research organization unveiled on Friday a robot that will be tasked with surveying reactor 1 at the complex.
 
Tepco plans to send the robot into reactor 1 in March, while its survey plan for reactor 2 remains unclear because of the high radiation levels.
 
The stick-like robot is 70 cm long and equipped with a camera, according to the International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning.
 
During a robotic survey in April 2015, the operator found no major obstacles in the path planned in reactor 1 but found water accumulating in the basement.
 
In the upcoming survey, it hopes to examine the water by deploying a camera and a radiation sensor.
 
“Confirming the conditions inside the reactor is a first step toward decommissioning,” Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Hiroshige Seko said in a news conference Friday.
 
“While difficult tasks and unexpected matters may arise, we will mobilize all of Japan’s technological capabilities to steadily implement decommissioning work and rebuild Fukushima,” he added.
Courtesy of japantimes.co.jp