#London at risk of major #EARTHQUAKE as new #FaultLines in centre of capital discovered according to the ‘2018 Year’ report
London earthquake: Researchers have found fault lines in the centre of the capital (Image: GETTY )
LONDON could be at risk of a major earthquake after scientists discovered two major fault lines running directly under the capital. Researchers from Imperial College said the fault lines move between 1mm and 2mm a year – running directly under central London and another beneath Canary Wharf.
Dr Richard Ghail, a specialist in civil and environmental engineering at Imperial College, said the chance of a magnitude 5 quake is “enough to be scary”.
The UK experiences hundreds of tremors each year, of which only about 10 are actually felt.
But research shows London and the South East is rising at the rate of 1 to 2mm a year as Britain is squeezed by strong tectonic forces.
In the event of a quake, scientists say the tremors would be similar to that of standing on a platform between two passing trains.
However there is a possibility of structural damage if a magnitude 6 quake strikes.
And today findings by the Imperial College are being used to draw up seismic guidelines for new and renovated builldings in the city, which will be built over the 100 years to withstand a 6.5 magnitude quake.
Dr Ghail said the research had overturned the traditional view of London as geologically stable.
He said: “It now looks a modestly active, very heavily faulted, complicated area.
“It’s probably gone from the simplest to most complex geology in the UK.”
The last time London was hit by a earthquake was back in the 1770s.
But now researchers say there is only a one-in-a-thousand-year chance of a tremor.
Dr Ghail said that although it was “scary” it was “not fundamentally a problem”.
Courtesy of express.co.uk
#Satellite images show giant #crack caused by #earthquake in #MojaveDesert, #California, #USA
Before and after images show the epicentre of Friday’s quake. Pic: Planet Labs Inc
The impact of Southern California’s strongest earthquake in 20 years has been revealed after satellite images showed how a huge crack emerged in the Earth’s surface.
The US state was rocked by two powerful earthquakes of magnitudes 7.1 and 6.4 last week along with hundreds of aftershocks.
The stronger quake on Friday struck 11 miles from the city of Ridgecrest, with satellite images by Planet Labs Inc showing the large crack that was ripped open in the Mojave Desert.
Move the slider from left to right to see the difference in images of the epicentre before and after the quake.
The US Geological Survey has reportedly said the crack is not a new fault line and the recent quake activity is not related to the dangerous San Andreas fault.
Before last week, the last time an earthquake above a magnitude of 6 struck Southern California was in 1999 when a 7.1 magnitude event – dubbed the Hector Mine quake – was recorded.
Friday’s quake ruptured gas lines and sparked numerous fires in Ridgecrest, about 125 miles from Los Angeles.
The 6.4 quake caused a fissure near Ridgecrest in the earth last Thursday
Offices in central LA were shaken for around 30 seconds by the tremors, and the quake was also felt in the Hollywood Hills, Las Vegas and parts of Mexico.
It came after Southern California was struck by a 6.4-magnitude quake on Thursday, which was followed by a strong 5.4-magnitude aftershock in the early hours of the next morning.
The force of the earthquake cracked a road Pic: Karaleigh Roe
There were minor injuries but no reports of anyone seriously hurt or killed.
Fears of a large quake had grown recently after 1,000 small tremors were reportedly recorded in Southern California over three weeks.
The “swarmageddon” produced earthquakes with an average magnitude of 3 last month, the LA Times reported.
There have no reports of any fatalities
California officials are spending more than $40m (£32m) on an earthquake early warning system that – in addition to alerting the public – could also be used to automatically halt trains and open fire station doors moments before a major tremor actually strikes.
Emergency management officials have said they intend to have the statewide warning system in place by mid-2021 to serve California’s roughly 40 million residents.
Courtesy of Sky News